Applying for a student visa

Israel’s Ministry of Interior requires you to obtain a student visa before entering Israel. You will not be allowed to enter the country without a student visa. To obtain the visa, you must make an appointment at your local Israeli embassy or consulate and apply for a one-year, multiple-entry, A/2, Student Visa. Please make sure your passport is valid for the entire duration of your studies before applying for the visa.

Students coming to Israel with spouses and children: please bring with you certified copies of your marriage certificate, birth certificate, or your children's birth certificates.


Visa extension

during the month of the expiration date of the student visa, the student must apply for a visa extension at the Ministry of Interior in Rehovot. 

In order to apply for the visa extension, the student must submit the following documents to Ms. Mahyan Gon, visas coordinator:

1. For bsc / msc non-thesis students: proof of registration to the academic year from the Office of Student Affairs or from the personal data page.

For research students (msc thesis track/PhD/post-docs): a visa supporting letter from your advisor, addressed to the Ministry of Interior in Rehovot. 

The letter from your advisor needs to include:

* your full name, nationality and passport number.

* your current studies track, the duration of your studies.

* funding and scholarship details and whether it covers your tuition, health insurance, housing and living expenses. 

* If there's a need for a multiple entry visa, this needs to be specified in the letter with the reason for such visa (for example: visiting your homeland). 


2. Visa Extension Form: all students extending visas must fill out this form (see form below).

3. Entry Visa Form: this form is to be filled only if you need a multiple entry visa, and needs to be submitted along with your Visa Extension Form (see form below).

Mahyan will then provide you with a cover letter for your forms and give you guidelines on the visa extension application process at the Ministry of Interior in Rehovot. 

The price for the visa extension (as per July 2019) is 175 NIS for the extension and 175 NIS for the multiple entries. Payment is done at the ministry by credit card only.

The new visa will be issued on the day you submit your application at the ministry.


The Ministry of Interior hours are Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 until 12:00.

The Ministry of Interior (called in Hebrew "Misrad Hapnim") is located on Binyamin street 4 on the 3rd floor (in the elevator it's 2nd floor).


*Please note: the Ministry of Interior is closed during Jewish and national holidays. If you know in advance that your visa will expire during a holiday, please make sure to apply tor the extension before the ministry closes.


For more information on the visa application process, please contact Ms. Mahyan Gon: