New students: Applying for a student visa

Israel’s Ministry of Interior requires you to obtain a student visa before entering Israel. You will not be allowed to enter the country without a student visa. To obtain the visa, you must make an appointment at your local Israeli embassy or consulate and apply for a one-year, multiple-entry, A/2, Student Visa. Please make sure your passport is valid for the entire duration of your studies before applying for the visa.

Students coming to Israel with spouses and children: please bring with you certified copies of your marriage certificate, birth certificate, or your children's birth certificates.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, new students and post-docs are to present additional documents at the embassies/consulates. Please get in touch with the visa coordinator (contact details below) for these documents.
24 hours prior to the flight to Israel, students are required to fill out an online inbound passenger statement form:


Current students: Visa extension

Important notice: Due to the current lockdown in Israel, all A2 and A4 visas that expire from September 24, 2020 have been automatically extended until November 30th, 2020

During the month of the expiration date of the student visa, the student must apply for a visa extension at the Ministry of Interior in Rehovot. 

Visa extension fees (as of May 2020): 175 NIS for the extension and 175 NIS for the multiple entries. The visa fees are to be paid by credit/debit card at the Ministry during the submission of the visa extension.

Follow these steps for the visa extension:

1. Hebrew University status documentation:

In order to apply for the visa extension, the student must have the following documents:

For B.Sc. / M.Sc. non-thesis students: proof of registration to the academic year from the Office of Student Affairs or from the personal data page/HUJIApp.

For research students (M.Sc. thesis track/PhD/post-docs): a visa supporting letter from your advisor, addressed to the Ministry of Interior in Rehovot. 

The letter from your advisor needs to include:

  • your full name, nationality and passport number.
  • your current studies track, the duration of your studies.
  • funding and scholarship details and whether it covers your tuition, health insurance, housing and living expenses. 
  • If there's a need for a multiple entry visa, this needs to be specified in the letter with the reason for such visa (for example: visiting your homeland, attending conferences). 

2. Visa Extension Form:

All students extending visas must fill out this form (see form below).

Digital headhot can be inserted into the pdf form. 

3. Entry Visa Form:

This form is to be filled only if you need a multiple entry visa, and needs to be submitted along with your Visa Extension Form (see form below).

Digital headhot can be inserted into the pdf form. 

4. Submission of documents to the faculty's visa coordinator:

Once you have gathered all necessary documents please bring them over to Mahyan Gon at the International School, who will provide you with a cover letter and will guide you through the visa extension process at the Ministry of Interior in Rehovot. 

5. Submission of visa extension at the Ministry of Interior:

Important notice: The Ministry of Interior in Rehovot has moved to a new location: Moti Kind 10, 3rd floor.

The ministry's hours are Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 until 12:00.

The Ministry of Interior (called in Hebrew "Misrad Hapnim") is located on Moti Kind st. 10 on the 3rd floor


*Please note: the Ministry of Interior is closed during Jewish and national holidays. If you know in advance that your visa will expire during a holiday, please make sure to apply tor the extension before the ministry closes.

For more information on the visa application process, please contact Ms. Mahyan Gon: